Thursday, July 24, 2008

Daily Journal #1 Matthew 1-4

Another one of the things I was convicted of during camp was at one point the speaker was like, for any Christian of 3+ years, reading the whole New Testament isn't that hard. I was like, wow. I've been a Christian for over 10 years and I haven't even come close. So that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna read the whole New Testament, and you get to come along for the ride. So here we go.

Matthew 1 is a big genealogy lesson. The whole Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob and all that stuff. As I read through this, I noticed that it mentioned guys who had their sons through various women, but it didn't do that for all the guys. Then it came to, "David the king begot Solomon by her who had been the wife of Uriah." (Matt. 1:6b) I was like, why didn't it say Bathsheba? It also mentioned Tamar and Rahab. It was an odd thing I had never thought of/realized. After reading the study notes, it said that Tamar was involved in a scandal w/ Judah. Rahab was a Canaanite harlot from Jericho. And Bathsheba was from the situation when David had Uriah killed so he could be w/ her. Even w/ all of these sins and horrible situations, they are still the direct line of Christ. Even from a flawed family line, Jesus still came through all of this. God showed that He can defeat anything that happens. Being a flawed human, I can easily butcher God's plan. But it's not really like that. God's plan isn't based on my performance. If I mess up, God's not like, "Crap, Nick screwed up. WHAT AM I GONNA DO?" His plan moves on regardless of what I do.

God, I pray right now that You can continue to get through my thick skull and show me Your path. I want to stay on the Narrow Way. Even through my mistakes, please use me as You see fit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home