Sunday, July 27, 2008

Journal #2 Matthew 5-7 (Sermon on the Mount) NKJV

Sorry for the short break, a few things came up so I didn't get on here. Anyway, here's my ramblings for today.

As I continue my trek through the New Testament, along came the Sermon on the Mount. After reading it, I realized I had read every part of it, but today was the first time that I have read through the entire section at once. If you mentioned the bits and pieces that are scattered throughout the passage, most people who have been around church for any amount of time have heard some of them. Things such as gouging out your eye, or cutting off your hand. Don't worry, store up treasures and heaven away from the moths. The speck vs. the plank, don't judge, and so on and so forth. All of these parts could easily be sermon serious by themselves. But all together, they create the greatest handbook for Christ-like living ever compiled. Multiple parts have been extremely helpful throughout times in my life especially chapter 6:25-34 commonly known as the do not worry section. I'm a chronic worrier, and it is a good place to re-visit and focus on what God has said about that.

Anywho, this time in all the awesome nuggets of awesomeness that is found in this section, what really stuck out was Matthew 6:22-23. The version I use titled this sub-section "The Lamp of the Body." It calls the eye the "lamp" of the body. This means that through the eyes are what really lead to the heart. Our minds are wonderful things, and the gateway to the mind is the eyes. We see tons of things everyday and are constantly logging them in our memories for later. Now this can be perfectly fine. Like verse 22b says, if your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. This is when we are glorifying God with what we watch and not filling our minds with crap. On the flip side, when we do the reverse, the opposite happens. We can easily fill our minds with nastiness and that will get shoved back deep into our brains and be horribly disgusting to Christ. Verse 23 says that when the eyes are bad, the whole body is full of darkness. It then goes on and states how great that darkness is. Once we get on a path of darkness, it's a slippery slope. One thing leads to another, and before ya know it, we're deep in a hole of yuck.

God, I pray that You will keep me determined to follow You with reckless abandon. That I would put each and every thing that You said in the Sermon on the Mount to practice. Especially what I put inside my head by what I watch. I know that has been a struggle for me most of my life. But You are beyond powerful. You have more than enough strength to help me defeat this evil. I pray that You would continue to brightly shine before me along The Way and use me as you see fit. I love You Lord; You are awesome, powerful, merciful, and loving.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really don't get over here very often! Do you blog somewhere else?

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home